The mission of Department of Planning and Community Development is to work with the residents of the City of Greenwood to create a vision for the future of the City by developing and implementing plans and programs that will make all of Greenwood’s neighborhoods great places to live, work and play.
The Department fulfills many roles within the City, but its fundamental responsibility is to plan the city’s future and develop the rules, regulations, and funding sources to carry out those plans.
Additionally, the City Code and Ordinances, as well as state law and federal regulations direct the department to:
- Advise the Mayor on any matter affecting physical development
- Assist the City Planning Commission in the development of all City plans
- Review and make recommendations regarding proposed action by the City Council and other City Departments regarding implementation of City plans
- Prepare rules and regulations to govern a subdivision of land
- Develop and maintain the Zoning Ordinance
- Oversee all matters which lead to improvement in the type, distribution, intensity and treatment of land and building use