Starting a Business

Before you begin operating your business in town, there are several steps you need to follow depending on the type of business you intend to start.

Who Needs a Business License?

Anyone who operates a business or performs a service within the City of Greenwood is required to apply for and retain a business license (a.k.a., Privilege License), unless exempted by the IRS or state law.

Some businesses will also be required to obtain special permits and authorization prior to the issuance of the business license.  These permits and procedures are explained in the following steps for starting a business in Greenwood.

Step 1: Determine the business site location and obtain the required permits.

Selecting the right location for your business is crucial to its success.  For this reason, the City's Planning & Development Department has specific zoning requirements for different types of businesses.  Check with the Planning & Development Department at 479-357-1133 to determine if the type of business you wish to operate is allowed in the desired location and what, if any, permits you will need to obtain.  If your business is not permitted in the zoning district you have chosen, planners can advise you of the proper zoning district(s) for your business.

Home Occupation Permits are required for businesses conducted from a residence that requires additional parking and/or modifications at the residence.

Please visit our License & Permits Page for more information.  All applications are reviewed by the Planning & Development Department Director.

Step 2: Obtaining a Business Resale Number.

A resale number is a requirement for any one conducting business as a seller of tangible property.  A resale number can be obtained through the Arkansas Department of Finance & Administration at

Step 3: Apply for your Business Privilege License.

If applicable, and after you have obtained the required permits and upon the Planning & Development Department approval for your business location, you can apply for your business privilege license.  Applications can be obtained in person at Greenwood City Hall, by calling 479-357-1134 and are available on our License & Permits Page. Please note not all privilege licenses require prior approval.

Notice to Restaurants and Prepared Food Vendors

Greenwood has in place an A&P (Advertising & Promotion) tax of 1% on prepared food.  This tax is collected by the business owner from the customer and mailed to the City of Greenwood monthly. Please visit our License & Permits Page for a copy of the ordinance and the monthly submission form required to stay in compliance with this tax.

Planning Department

Sonny Bell

Send Email

Phone: 479-357-1133
Fax: 479-996-2743

Building Inspector
Hunter Mikles

Send Email

Phone: 479-322-1675

Greenwood City Hall
30 Bell Road
Greenwood, AR 72936

Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm
Friday 8am-4pm

Find on City Map

Building Department & Permits

Hunter Mikles